Sunday, August 8, 2010

A bunch of DIfferent Japanese Movies...


Watched alot of great movies.....okay not alot but some were just great.  I think I'll dedicate my blog to movies, anime, and music that inspire me or I think is pretty good.  There are lots of other blogs that do that I'm sure, but hell maybe I can offer something new.  So first off, the new Futurama episodes are great. They're so much funnier, maybe its the infusion of more current pop culture references, it feels more like a cross between Southpark and The Simpsons now.  The difference is, that it feels fresh and brings something different to the table.

Watched two foreign films, Japanese and Korean respectively.  Both awesome.  Well I enjoyed one more than the other.  Fish Story is the story of a little known(well they are nobodies really) rock band who do an album and a song off that album saves the world.  Now it isn't exactly the song that saves the world, I was actually expecting that but no, its the influences that the song has on various people and how its effects subtly have an effect on certain people who were instrumental in saving the world.  A great movie for creative people to watch.  At times an artist, musician or any one involved in a creative endeavour may feel like their work isn't having an impact or doesn't touch anyone and questions themselves and their work, this movie reminds them that your work may indeed touch someone, you may not get famous or get rich but it may in fact profoundly touch someone or affect their life in some way, and that person could indeed turn out to be the saviour of the world.


The other movie is Hansel and Gretyl, which according to IMDB
"When Eun-soo gets lost in a country road, he meets a mysterious girl and is led to her fairytale ike house in the middle of the forest. There, Eun-soo is trapped with the girl and her siblings who never age. Eun-soo finally discovers a way out which is written on a fairy tale book. But the book tells a story of none other than himself! "


This movie I didn't enjoy as much as I wanted to. It was a bit overlong and meandering. I did stick around however because I was intrigued by the setup and was eager to see how this would be carried out. There was the excellent mystery setup and trying to figure it out and decipher what was going on was truly great. Who are these children? Why are the parents seemingly afraid of them? Why can't he leave the forest? Can anyone leave the forest? However things stretch on a bit too long and it could've been tightened a lot more, I liked the characters but never loved any of them. Overall an excellent movie to watch, if youre in the mood for a fatasy movie of sorts along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth but not quite as dark.






Ah and some new music recommendations, Allagaeon, imagine if Black Dahlia Murder wasnt a one trick pony.


















And Clint Mansell The Fountain OST, the best movie soundtrack I have ever heard.  I just can't stop listening to this thing.

No comments: